Saturday night, I was lucky enough (or so I was told) to attend the Spirited Awards at Tales of the Cocktail.Â I’ll say first off that it was dull, and the food (which had to be donated, despite the outrageous ticket price?) was meager and also dull. The drinks were good and the event featured a Mad Men theme, which would have been cool a year ago.Â They did actually bring in Bryan Batt, the actor who plays Salvatore Romano in AMCâ€™s Mad Men. He spoke for about 90-seconds and was never seen again.
We also saw the “Best Brand Ambassador” out for dinner with the show’s emcee,Â Billy Harris, the next night at Domenica, which in any other realm might be cause for scandal, but let’s face it, this guy doesn’t have much pull, or a shot in hell with the stunning Charlotte Voisey.
Thanks to the fine folks at DonQ Rum, who invited me to their table. Next year, I think this is 3 hours I will spend by the pool, but congrats to all the winners.
- Worldâ€™s Best Drink Selection – Bar Lebensstern in Cafe Einstein, Berlin
- Best American Cocktail Bar – Death & Co., New York City
- Worldâ€™s Best Cocktail Bar – The Cocktail Bar at The Merchant Hotel, Belfast
- Worldâ€™s Best New Cocktail Bar – Mayahuel, New York City
- Worldâ€™s Best Hotel Bar – The Connaught Bar, The Connaught Hotel, London
- American Bartender of the Year – Murray Stenson
- International Bartender of the Year – Agostino Perrone
- Best New Cocktail/Bartending Book – Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails by Ted Haigh
- Best Cocktail Writing – CLASS magazine
- Best New Product – Celery Bitters, The Bitter Truth
- Worldâ€™s Best Cocktail Menu – Death & Co, New York City
- Best Bar Mentor – Dale DeGroff
- Best American Brand Ambassador – Charlotte Voisey, William Grant & Sons Portfolio
- Best International Brand Ambassador – John Gakuru, Sagatiba
- Helen David Lifetime Achievement Award – Brian Rea