It’s that time of year, when the leaves have fallen off the trees, you can see your breath, and there’s a nasty Rhinovirus in heavy circulation (don’t freak out, that’s just the common cold). We all deserve a hot toddy, but not everyone keeps the requisite cinnamon, citrus and spice in their kitchen, and nobody wants to trek to the market on a bitterly cold night, especially when they’re already under the weather.
Conveniently, all six flavors of Herbal Water lend themselves well to a steaming cup of booze and require nothing else but a little sweetener to make a great hot toddy.
All of these recipes follow the same ratio – 1/4 cup Herbal Water : 1 ounce spirits : 1 tablespoon sweetener. Microwave the water in a mug for 2 minutes, stir in the spirit and sweetener and and garnish with a lemon wedge.
- Cinnamon Orange Peel – Irish whiskey – maple syrup
- Lemongrass Mint Vanilla – bourbon – brown sugar
- Ginger Lemon Peel – Tequila – agave nectar
- Lavender Mint – Aviation Gin or citrus vodka – honey
- Lemon Verbena Geranium – London dry gin – apricot jam
- Cloves Cardamom Cinnamon – Rum – white sugar
Full disclosure: I got my first taste of Herbal Water at a conference, and while their sparkling water made sense as a mixer, I wasn’t sure what to do with the still water…until I got sick, and they were kind enough to send me some.